Head of Legal
EliseAI develops cutting-edge conversational AI technology for industries fundamental to our lives: housing and healthcare. Everything is built on the foundation of health and home. Broken systems or ineffective processes in these domains have a disproportionate impact on our quality of life and society’s overall wellbeing. Conversely, any solution or technology that solves problems in these areas will have an impact that ripples far beyond them. That’s the only kind of impact we are interested in having at EliseAI. If you get excited by the thought of working really hard on these kinds of problems, then EliseAI is the right place for you.
About the role
You will be the first member of the company’s legal department and will partner with our CFO to manage all legal matters for the company. You will also have related operational responsibilities to help drive the company’s growth, most notably helping to drive an efficient customer sales and contracting process.
Responsibilities will include:
- Drafting, negotiating and managing complex customer and partner contracts, and developing an efficient contract life cycle to balance strategic business objectives with effective risk management
- Assisting with related commercial and financial operational matters in close partnership with the rest of our Sales and Finance teams
- Negotiating and managing vendor and other contracts
- Obtaining and maintaining a comprehensive understanding of the company’s products (current and emerging), and becoming a subject matter expert and advisor on relevant regulatory regimes
- Managing our compliance efforts (overall, AI, privacy, and security)
- Delivering training programs to company stakeholders as well as establishing policies and best practices to ensure compliance with relevant law
- Advising customers on relevant implications of real estate and healthcare law to ensure partnerships are both effective and compliant with relevant law
- Working closely with our outside counsel to shape our overall corporate legal strategy
We are looking for someone that is excited to learn about the legal and finance functions at a rapidly growing SaaS company with an eye towards becoming a functional leader.
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree (or foreign equivalent) from a well-regarded law school
- Admitted to practice law in New York State with good standing, or willing to waive in to New York
- Minimum of 2 years of legal experience, including diverse corporate work
- Experience with or willingness to learn commercial contract negotiations and law, AI legal considerations, security and privacy law, real estate law, healthcare law, and corporate governance
- Ability to effectively and clearly communicate with customers and other outside parties
- Ability reliably source data/information, interpret information and provide context, and effectively weigh considerations in the best interest of the business and its customers
- Mathematical aptitude and financial literacy required to effectively partner with Sales and Finance
- Is excited to work hard at a fast-growing startup
- Has startup mindset, ownership, and a proper balance of quality and sense of urgency
- Wants to work in person at NYC headquarters (33rd and Park) ~4 days a week
Growth and impact. It’s not often that you can get in on the ground floor of a funded startup that’s scaling. That means that instead of following a playbook, you’ll be writing it. Every single day you will be challenged to identify how we can scale and execute on it. You’ll learn what works when you succeed and what doesn’t when you fail. Either way, the rest of the team will be here to support you.
In addition to the growth and impact you’ll have at EliseAI, we offer competitive salaries along with the following benefits:
- Equity in the company in the form of stock options
- Medical, Dental and Vision premiums covered at 100%
- Fully paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits
- 401k benefits
- Monthly fitness stipend
- Our brand new Midtown south office with an open floor plan, fully stocked kitchen, and company paid lunch
- Fun company social events through our Elise and the City program
- Unlimited vacation and paid holidays
We'll cover relocation packages from outside of the Greater NYC metro area - we'll make the move exciting, not painful.
Job Compensation Range:
The salary range for this role is $200,000 - $275,000. EliseAI offers a competitive total rewards package which includes base salary, equity, and a comprehensive benefits & perks package. Exact compensation inclusive of salary and any bonuses is determined based on a number of factors including experience and skill level, location and qualifications which are assessed during the interview process. Additional details about total compensation and benefits will be provided by our Recruiting Team during the hiring process. EliseAI provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at HR@eliseai.com