Full Stack Engineer (Residential Conveyancing Product)
About us 🏢
We’re an award-winning LegalTech-meets-PropTech start-up focused on simplifying and accelerating the legal portion of any property transaction using technology. This is a pivotal and exciting moment to join Orbital Witness. Despite the unprecedented challenges facing early stage businesses, in April 2020 we closed our seed round (£3.3m) with the backing of the very best early stage venture capital funds in Europe (including LocalGlobe and Seedcamp) alongside strategic investment from some of the world’s largest real estate companies and financial institutions (JLL, Starwood Capital and Investec).
💡 We value diversity at Orbital Witness, and would particularly encourage applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. We’d love to hear from you even if you don’t match all of the above criteria or are seeking other opportunities that we’re not currently advertising.
Our vision 🏆
To become the universal risk rating for land and property, replacing a 150-year-old legacy process of manual due diligence - an ‘Experian for the global real estate industry’.
Our mission 💪🏽
Our mission is to help any professional or individual involved in a property transaction to properly understand what they are getting into, from the outset, before incurring legal fees.
Role Overview 🔎
We're open to speaking to engineers with different levels of seniority from Junior - Senior/Principle as we've launched a new product which is delivering much needed transparency to the home buying process, with a view to transform the way property is transacted. We're looking for passionate and diligent product-focused Fullstack Engineers to join the Orbital Witness team to build our automated machine learning-based application. Specifically we're using natural language processing (NLP) on real estate legal documents, along with codifying legal expertise, to build a system that essentially 'thinks' like a lawyer and is thus able to automate real estate due diligence.
You’ll own the end-to-end design and development of key features of our web application along with the underlying services and infrastructure that support it. You’ll be joining a small, dynamic and fast-paced team with a focus on quality, usability and impact. You’ll be involved in every stage of the development lifecycle; from discovery and design, through implementation to deployment, maintenance and continuous improvement. You will be supported by a cross-functional, collaborative and growing team in delivering an impactful product, initially to lawyers and then to a wider set of B2B customers.
You’ll get a chance to: 👩💻 👨💻
- Take ownership of key technology decisions and lay the groundwork for the company’s ambitious growth plans
- Develop, test, refactor, deploy, maintain and support production software
- Collaborate with a cross functional team (a ML product manager, a legal domain expert , data scientists and software engineers) to define user stories, quickly experiment and ship new features along with implementing both functional and non-functional requirements
- Champion quality and reuse across the product and the codebase
- Collaborate with individuals across the business to ensure the features you develop have real business impact for customers and actually move key business metrics as we design and build a brand new product that doesn't yet exist in the market
- Participate in architecture and code reviews to continuously improve the quality, maintainability, security and scalability of our applications
You should apply if you: ✍️
- Have experience with backend development - ideally Python 3 but not required
- Have experience with frontend development - ideally React, TypeScript and/or Next.js
- Care about solving the technically challenging problems we’re tackling
- Value shipping early and often to get customer feedback and then iterating quickly to improve the product
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Have proven experience delivering large, complex software engineering systems
It would also be nice if you have:
- Experience with Airflow and ETL pipelines
- Experience building applications with Docker and Kubernetes
- Built highly secure, fault tolerant APIs
- Experience building high performance, distributed systems at scale
- Proven experience of driving and using modern dev practices like BDD, TDD, 12 Factor, CI/CD
- Competitive starting salary, matched pension contributions and equity options in a fast growing start-up
- Flexible working hours and location; should you choose to work from home or need a change of scenery for a few days you will have access to 40+ TOG offices in London and even more around the world
- 25 days paid holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Professional equipment and personal development budget along with training opportunities to learn and develop your skills
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- An inclusive community enjoying all-company offsites, lunches and socials
- Spill - an all-in-one mental health support app through Slack
Something looks off?