Senior Counsel - Data Privacy & Marketing
Marketing & Communications, Legal
Posted on Wednesday, May 3, 2023
What we do and why we do it
As the leading end-to-end investment platform for single-family rental homes (SFR), our mission is to make real estate investing radically accessible, cost effective, and simple. We successfully merge our passion for helping investors build wealth through real estate with cutting edge technology that transforms the way they do it.
How it’s going (and growing)
With a talented team of 400+ Roofsters, our collaborative, can-do culture is what fuels our growth. Early last year we closed on our Series E, raising $240 million, and have offices in California, Texas, and New York as well as many remote opportunities. Our growth includes recent acquisitions of Great Jones (full-service property management), Stessa (financial management software) to empower customers with a seamless way to acquire, manage, and track their investment properties on one platform, and Rent Prep (tenant screening and placement service for landlords).
Under our roof
We get a lot of attention for our innovation—like being on the Forbes Fintech 50 and Red Herring 100—but we’re most proud of being recognized as a Great Place to Work® (Check out our reviews!). We’re nice, get things done, and have fun. We champion professional growth and work-life balance.
Roofstock is looking for a skilled Data Privacy & Marketing Attorney to join our close, collaborative and multi-talented legal team. In this role, you will report to the General Counsel and serve as the company’s primary legal advisor on data privacy and marketing related issues. You will partner closely with our Marketing Team, Product Team, Info Sec team and various consumer-facing business lines including Stessa, RentPrep andRoofstockOne.
This role has the potential to grow to include oversight over more areas, including advising on our go-to-market strategy for various SaaS technologies. Together with the legal team, you’llprovide critical and time-sensitive support advising on various aspects of consumer protection and data privacy while spreading the word about the innovative ways in which Roofstock helps its clients build generational wealth through real estate.
What You Will Do:
- Provide legal guidance on data privacy, data protection, and information security matters, including compliance with CCPA, CPRA, FCRA, GLBA, and other applicable data privacy laws and regulations.
- Review and negotiate contracts with vendors, partners, and clients, including data processing agreements, software licenses, and marketing agreements.
- Advise on marketing initiatives and campaigns, including social media, email marketing, and online advertising to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations, such as FTC guidelines, TILA, CAN-SPAM, TCPA, and state advertising and consumer protection laws.
- Review marketing materials and content for legal compliance, including advertising copy, disclosures, disclaimers, and substantiation for advertising claims.
- Manage data subject rights requests, data breach notifications, and other privacy-related communications.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including marketing, product, IT, and human resources, to implement data protection and privacy best practices, and marketing compliance.
- Provide training and guidance to employees on marketing law and data collection and sharing, privacy legal requirements and best practices
- Monitor and stay up-to-date on legal and regulatory developments in marketing and data privacy, and provide proactive advice to the business.
- Manage relationships with external counsel and other stakeholders, as needed.
What You Bring With You:
- 8+ years of relevant legal experience, preferably a combination of law firm and in-house experience, focusing on marketing law and data privacy matters.
- Expertise in CCPA, CPRA, GDPR, and other data privacy and protection laws and regulations.
- Strong contract negotiation and drafting skills.
- Experience advising on marketing law and consumer protection issues, including FTC guidelines on endorsements, truth in advertising, TCPA, CANSPAM, and state promotions laws.
- Experience implementing and drafting social media guidelines and using your impeccable writing skills to review those communications.
- Experience educating and counseling business clients on endorsements, testimonials, accuracy, and adtech.
- Comfort independently drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements and policies, including IP licenses, partnership agreements, services agreements, terms and conditions and guidelines for the business.
- Commercial awareness of and interest in real estate, and specifically, the single-family rental space.
- Desire to take a significant role in shaping the future of a leading prop tech late-stage startup.
- Ability to translate complex legal concepts into actionable guidance for business teams.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to prioritize and handle multiple inquiries and requests, supporting multiple cross-functional teams.
- JD degree, excellent academic credentials, and admission to at least one US state bar.
- Good sense of humor, collaborative work style, sound judgment, pride in your work, ability to identify problems and propose solutions to them, and a desire to work with a dynamic-growth company in the prop-tech space.
The baseline compensation for this role is $200,000, with adjustments upwards according to geographic location. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors unique to each candidate, including but not limited to job-related knowledge and skills, experience, education/training, business needs, market demands, and geographical location.
For our regular full-time roles we offer a great benefits package!
Equity incentives to give you a stake in the Company’s future
Medical, Vision and Dental for you (95%) and your dependents (70%)
Flexible time off and sick days
We exhibit an upbeat and collaborative work culture
Virtual company-sponsored outings
Roofstock is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Roofstock, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
See more open positions at Roofstock
Something looks off?