CIO - Chief Investment Officer
Posted on Saturday, September 9, 2023
What we do and why we do it
As the leading end-to-end investment platform for single-family rental homes (SFR), our mission is to make real estate investing radically accessible, cost effective, and simple. We successfully merge our passion for helping investors build wealth through real estate with cutting edge technology that transforms the way they do it.
How it’s going (and growing)
With a talented team of 400+ Roofsters, our collaborative, can-do culture is what fuels our growth. Early last year we closed on our Series E, raising $240 million, and have offices in California, Texas, and New York as well as many remote opportunities. Our growth includes recent acquisitions of Great Jones (full-service property management), Stessa (financial management software) to empower customers with a seamless way to acquire, manage, and track their investment properties on one platform, and Rent Prep (tenant screening and placement service for landlords).
Under our roof
We get a lot of attention for our innovation—like being on the Forbes Fintech 50 and Red Herring 100—but we’re most proud of being recognized as a Great Place to Work® (Check out our reviews!). We’re nice, get things done, and have fun. We champion professional growth and work-life balance.
Roofstock Capital Management, specializes in creating compelling, thesis-driven investment vehicles in the Single-Family Rental (SFR) sector. At the crossroads of innovative strategy and cutting-edge research and data, we offer unique investment opportunities through Separately Managed Accounts (SMAs) and co-mingled funds. Rooted in our ethos we drives forward with the mission to revolutionize real estate investment, leveraging Roofstock Inc.'s position as a market leader and world-class tech-enabled platform.
The CIO will be instrumental in shaping and steering Roofstock Capital Management's investment trajectory. This role will report to the Head of Capital Markets and collaborate closely with the research team, this role demands the formulation and meticulous execution of compelling SFR fund investment strategies tailored to the diverse needs of our investors. The ideal candidate will not only possess an intimate understanding of the SFR sector but also demonstrate a successful track record of investments in this space.
We are open to the possibility of this role being remote; however, we would prefer the individual to be located within a commutable distance from our New York office to facilitate meetings in this vicinity.
What You Will Do:
- Design, refine, and spearhead Roofstock Capital Management's SFR investment strategy in alignment with organizational and client objectives.
- Collaborate synergistically with the research team to harness data-driven insights, ensuring informed and strategic investment decisions.
- Leveraging our in-house Investment Services team, oversee the entire spectrum of investment activities, from underwriting and due diligence to final acquisition and sale. Identify and capitalize on novel investment opportunities, focusing on both SMAs and co-mingled funds.
- Initially this role will be an individual contributor but overtime you will lead and mentor an investment team, promoting a culture of data-driven excellence and innovation.
- Build and nurture relationships with investors, financial institutions, and other key stakeholders within the SFR ecosystem.
- Continually monitor market conditions, apprising the team of emerging trends, risks, and opportunities in the SFR sector.
- Represent Roofstock Capital Management effectively in industry conferences, forums, and public events.
What You Bring With You:
- 10+ years of experience in a senior investment role, with specific emphasis on the Single-Family Rental sector preferred.
- Bachelor's degree is required. An advanced degree in Finance, Real Estate, Business, CFA designation or a related discipline is preferred.
- Demonstrated success in devising and executing SFR investment strategies.
- Robust analytical and quantitative prowess, underlined by a history of data-driven investment choices.
- A broad and insightful understanding of the SFR market, its nuances, and dynamics.
- Proven leadership skills, paired with exceptional team management capabilities.
- Extensive network within the SFR and financial community, complemented by strong negotiation skills.
- Ability to excel in a high-energy, evolving environment.
- Deep understanding of both debt and equity capital markets
- Creative, solutions-oriented, impactful team player
- Excellent presentation skills and comfort in marketing and sales settings
- Willingness to travel extensively to meet both investment and marketing needs
- We ask all employees to celebrate diversity and be committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
For our regular full-time roles we offer a great benefits package!
Equity incentives to give you a stake in the Company’s future
Medical, Vision and Dental for you (95%) and your dependents (70%)
Flexible time off and sick days
We exhibit an upbeat and collaborative work culture
Virtual company-sponsored outings
Roofstock is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Roofstock, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.