Senior Embedded Software Engineer
In 2021 Turntide acquired three North East businesses to establish our presence in the UK – those businesses were Borg Warner in Gateshead, Hyperdrive in Sunderland and Avid in Cramlington. The acquisitions allowed us to extend our Smart Motor System to the transportation sector and help turn the tide on climate change.
There is a massive change happening across Transportation. Companies are working furiously to develop new electrified platforms to meet the demands of their customers and do their part to reduce carbon emissions. Our Turntide for Electrification solutions help ease the customer journey and accelerate their transition. The faster they can transform, the better it is for our planet.
A Senior Embedded Software Engineer’s primary focus will range from bare-metal coding on development kits to complex safety critical software systems working as part of a cross functional team of engineers. The role is based at our site in Gateshead and reports in to the Software Engineering Lead.
In this role the Senior Embedded Software Engineer will be responsible for the following:
- Developing embedded software for safety critical applications, primarily in the C programming language and Simulink
- Interpret customer and product specifications to produce software functional specifications
- Software system design
- Documentation of architecture and high-level design
- Ensuring compliance with processes required by ASPICE and ISO 26262
- Ensuring that software design follows the company software and quality procedures
- Ensuring that all work is carried out safely.
Experience and Skills
We’re looking for candidates with the following experience and skills:
- Experience in development of real-time embedded software using the C programming language
- Experience in the whole software development lifecycle, ideally, the V-model lifecycle
- Experience working alongside and collaborating with controls and hardware engineering teams
- Knowledge of typical optimisation techniques and how to apply these to real-time systems
- Experience with formal coding standards
- Debugging on real-time embedded systems
- Dealing with real time operating systems
It would also be great (but not essential) if in addition to the above you also had:
- Experience working on projects for use in automotive, or similar, systems
- Experience of Python or C# programming languages
- Knowledge of or experience of working with Simulink and associated code generation tools.
- Experience of software development for safety critical applications standards required by ISO26262
- Experience of software development for cybersecurity applications standards required by ISO21434
- Experience of Agile development techniques
- Experience of signal processing and knowledge of associated techniques used on real-time software.
- An understanding of signal acquisition at the hardware level, with an ability to follow a circuit’s schematic layout
- An understanding of basic principles and laws of electronics
- Basic understanding of motor control and power electronics
A degree or equivalent in the following discipline is required: BSc (Hons) in Computer Science / Software Engineering, BEng (Hons) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering or equivalent. 2.1 or higher grade
Relevant experience could also be considered
The ideal candidate will have the following personal qualities:
- Enthusiastic, flexible and able to thrive and succeed in times of ambiguity and change
- Structured individual with ability to interact and communicate at all levels of the organisation
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communications and relationship building skills with internal and external stakeholders
- Good commercial awareness and proactive problem-solving skills to ensure business needs are understood and agreed solutions are delivered.
- This is a very hands-on position – we expect a person with a ‘roll up your sleeves’ attitude.
- Ability to work well under pressure, prioritise work accordingly and meet tight deadlines
- Pro-active taking ownership of tasks given and follow through to completion
- Must model highest degree of moral and ethical behaviour
- Must be able to work alone with minimum guidance, but also be able to operate effectively as part of a team.
- Confident, thoughtful and able to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical team members
- Ability to mentor and train effectively, supporting development through hands-on or practical experience.
- Must have an agile approach to work
- Tackle problems with creativity and innovation
- Hungry for success, self-motivated, results-driven, and ambitious
- Competitive salary
- Hybrid/flexible working options
- Enhanced Company pension scheme
- Life insurance annual salary
- Enhanced maternity, paternity, adoption & SPL
- Employee assistance wellbeing scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- On-site gym and restaurant (Gateshead site only)
- Eyecare support
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays with the option to purchase an additional five day’s annual leave
Equality, Diversity & Inclusion
Turntide Technologies is committed to applying equal opportunities at all stages of recruitment and selection, in line with its Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy in addition to our duty under the Equality Act 2010 to have due regard to the need to eliminate discrimination; to advance equality of opportunity. As such, any applicant with a disability will not be excluded unless unable to perform a duty intrinsic to the role, having considered reasonable adjustments. Reasonable adjustments to the recruitment process will be made to ensure that no applicant is disadvantaged because of their disability.
Please contact the UK Recruitment team to discuss or request any reasonable adjustments or find out any further information regarding this position.
Please note: Direct applications only. No unsolicited Staffing Recruitment Firm submissions will be accepted. Any unsolicited CVs received will be treated as the property of Turntide Technologies.
Terms and Conditions
I understand that disclosure of my gender and ethnicity (“Voluntary Disclosures”) is completely voluntary and will not be used to administer by application for employment. This information will only be used for diversity, equity and inclusion purposes.
I also understand and acknowledge all personal information, except for the Voluntary Disclosures, provided herein or collected in the future by the hiring company (“Company”) may be collected, used, or disclosed to administer my application of employment and this information may be shared with Company’s affiliates and subsidiaries for employment consideration purposes, as well as with third parties who perform related recruitment services on Company’s behalf. These third parties are not authorized by Company to use or disclose application information, except as necessary to perform services on Company’s behalf or to comply with legal requirements.
I further understand that my personal information will be kept confidential, secure, and may be stored by Company and/or third parties in various locations worldwide, including the USA, Canada and the UK.
I consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of my personal information provided to Company for purposes noted herein, including the Voluntary Disclosures for diversity, equity and inclusion reporting purposes. Except for consent relating to Voluntary Disclosures, I understand that if consent is withheld or revoked, my application will be withdrawn.
I verify that all statements made in my application for employment are true and correct and understand that any false statement shall disqualify me from employment. For additional information regarding Company’s applicant privacy policies and the collection, use or disclosure of personal information in connection with submitting an application for employment, please refer to the Applicant Privacy Notice.